Friday, July 25, 2008

I Do Not Know Why But......

I am trying to get the kids to do more around the house. Joshua and Alex are old enough to wash the dishes by hand. Well Joshua has been doing them for months now and does a pretty good job at it. Occasionally I find a dish that needs to be redone. Well Alex on the other hand I know that he is capable of doing it. I think he just really does not want to since he does a Horrible job. I mean I understand if there is a little something but he seems to just not even give an effort at it. Sometime I think he just gets them wet. So I have decided that he will be doing the dishes for this weekend and next week I will check them and if they are not clean then he can do them again.

Okay so some of you may be saying wow you are a mean mom. Well fine be that way LOL. These kids need to learn how to do this stuff if they start doing thing around the house they will be able to earn things. Hope helps with the dishes when I do them she rinses them and puts them in the dishwasher. Then she Nathan and Avery will put them away when they are dry.

I am just trying to make sure my children are able to do the things they need to when they get older. I was thinking the other day Joshua is about to be 11 in 8 years (about he will be going on his mission (if he does) I want him to be able to keep the apt clean and cook for himself and his companion(s). That way they are not living off frozen pizza and such LOL.

I just feel these kids are old enough to help around the house. Sometimes mommy just wants to sit on her rear sometimes and relax. LOL

7 comments:

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

Yeah, you are not a mean mom at all. I am totally going to do the same thing. Kids need to learn responsibily, so when they do leave the house they have the habits down. I think that it is awesome that you make the kids do the dishes and do it right!

Emily Christiansen said...

My mom gave each of us a daily dish job, we had to keep our bedroom clean, and we had another job around the house (vacuuming stairs, scrubbing bathrooms, mop the kitchen floor, etc) that we had to do once a week. We were pretty young when she started teaching us how to work. None of us were exempt. We all got jobs and had to do them before we could play or watch television. I am glad my mom taught me how to clean.

Anonymous said...

Y a we do that the kids rooms have to be clean vacumed and beds made befor they can play anything.

Dena

Kari said...

Children need to learn responsibility more than ever. We can't baby them so long that when they are on thier own, they don't know how to take care of themselves. Even at the daycare I work at, the 3-year-olds have to scrape their own plates and clean up their own messes.

shellys said...

Hey Dena, I can't wait until my kids are old enough to make them do chores. I decided I am always going to have a small house so that I won't have so much to clean. E-mail me so I can invite you to my blog. swenson.shelly@gmail.com

angelle said...

I think it's great you are having your kids help around the house. There are too many mom's out there that don't care if there kids help out or not. There are too many horror stories of roommates that never learned to take clean up after themselves. I am so glad my parents had us help around our home, it made my relationships with roommates and now my husband better because of it.

Jess said...

Doesn't sound mean to me... sounds like good parenting!